Dee Snider

Shut Up and Give Me the Mic
By Dee Snider
May 2012

Page 129
"The formula I discovered... would be replicated by me, culminating but not ending with "We're Not Gonna Take It" My addiction to glitter-rock band Slade taught me all I needed to know about writing these types of songs." 
Pages 236-7
"I'd been sitting on the chorus for "We're Not Gonna Take It" since 1979. I knew the hook was a killer, but try as I would, I could not come up with a suitable verse and B-verse (the second different part of a verse). I'm a huge fan of the English band Slade (as are many other prominent hard rock and metal bands) and their incredible rock anthems. 
Most of you will know them best for the Quiet Riot smash hit "Cum On Feel The Noize" and follow up, "Mama Weer All Crazee Now." No, Quiet Riot didn't write those songs, Slade did.
Slade songs are usually uniquely comprised of a hook (catchy repeated melody and lyric) for the verse, a hook for the B-verse and a hook for... the hook. Jim Lea and Noddy Holder are amazing songwriters! "We're Not Gonna Take It" is a full-on Slade inspired romp. All of my anthems are. Thank you Noddy & Jim, for the inspiration and songwriting lessons. I couldn't have done it without you."
Dee Snider (Twisted Sister)








1 comment:

Holder said...

Slade has influenced so many rock bands in the world. ACDC, def leppard, sex pistols, ramones, nirvana, smashing pumpkins, oasis, cinderella, wasp, motley crue, kiss, poison, van hallen, accept, quiet riot, twisted sister and others.